In our world today, it is an established fact that lifestyle related diseases (Non-communicable diseases) are the leading causes of deaths. Quite often, our illnesses develop around our habits and are progressed by the same habits over years before they substantially manifest and impact our lives.
We live in a world where convenience and instant gratification are glorified. We want to experience material things most comfortably and in their best tastes, sometimes valuing these experiences over our personal health. Unfortunately, they eventually give rise to circumstances that may make it difficult for one to lead a normal active and quality life.
It is obvious that various lifestyle factors and choices around our day-to-day habits are very consequential. You’ve probably heard the suggestions before – eat healthy, exercise, get plenty of sleep, limit alcohol consumption, and reduce stress.
But why should we struggle to deny ourselves the convenience and flavor of life when we can humbly afford to live on them? Are these disciplines so important? Well, here are a few benefits of embracing healthy habits.
Benefits of embracing Healthy Living
- Healthy living reduces risk of disease. Illness in the body occurs when it is subjected nutritional imbalance, stress, harmful exposures and injuries, often times happening simultaneously. Unhealthy habits such as smoking, excessive alcohol use, poor diet and inactivity will either directly or indirectly lead to the above factors. Sustainable behaviors and practices on the other hand maintain the body in balance and in optimal functioning state thus reducing risk of disease.
- Healthy habits increase your self-worth. Yes! You will value yourself differently when you commit to consistently eating healthy, increasing your physical activity, when you cease smoking, when you quit alcohol and illicit substances. The purposefulness and desirability of simple healthy habits inspire confidence and a feeling of fulfilment in achieving them. As you begin to experience desirable changes in your body and mind, you will continue to prioritize self-care.
- Healthy habits improve your mental health. Lifestyle factors for healthy living such as safe and peaceful environment, optimal sleep, enjoyable activities and social connections/support decreases mental health problems such as depressive mood, excessive anxiety, or compulsive behavior. They reinforce positive affect, positive mood and high life-satisfaction thus enhancing optimal functioning of an individual in everyday life.
- Healthy habits Saves you money. It’s worth noting that unhealthy habits have an impact on personal finances such that they don’t just harm your health; they’re also costly. When you take steps to improve your health, for instance cutting back on consumption-related vices like smoking, alcohol, substance abuse and drinking soft drinks, great financial benefits will result in the long term, and even immediately. Eating well will also save you money because otherwise will often end up with spending more. On the other hand, planning homemade meals made with raw, healthy foods can actually work out less expensive.
- Embracing healthy habits improves your energy levels. I guess you’ve sometimes found yourself feeling tired and drained, especially in the middle of a project or a task-some activity. Did you know that some simple modifications around your habits and routine would do you better than the caffeinated beverages and the energy drinks? It is physically impossible for the body to have optimal energy when inundated with poor quality foods, chemicals, and long term stress with less rest. Each of these respond negatively in the body and inhibit its ability to sustain energy levels for extended periods of time.
Thankfully, there are habits you can embrace and you will experience a dramatic shift in your daily energy levels – eat healthy, check on your physical activity (exercise), get plenty of sleep, reduce stress, avoid alcohol consumption and smoking. Along with many other aspects of your health, committing to these healthy habits and pursuing them progressively in your daily routine can significantly affect how energetic you feel and how productive you become. Make them your lifestyle.
Quite frankly, there are countless benefits one will receive through pursuing a healthy lifestyle. I have talked about just five, but I am sure you’ll add more to the list out of your own experience when you commit to intentionally leading a healthy life.